I did I super quick live stream on instagram two week ago about how I made my broccoli rice.
It was really short.
The last few times I bought broccoli, I made sure to cut off the crowns and set aside the stalks. I’ve purchased broccoli rice from Trader Joe’s before and figured it can’t be all that difficult to make it yourself. And I was right.
- Take your broccoli stalk and cut, peel or otherwise remove any leafy portions and make sure it free from dirt.
- Cut the stalks into manageable peices for your food processor/blender I have a ninja I got from amazon
- Pulse until pieces resemble grains of rice.
You can heat up your rice by tossing it in a pan with some seasoning, nuke it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or top it with whatever your eating and have it raw! The possibilities are endless!
Alright, so besides having a really great subsitiute for rice, I decided to experiment a little and try to make my own tater tots. TL;DR THEY WERE AMAZING
I deep fried these in peanut oil for shits and giggles because why not, amirite? But you could easily pop them into the oven instead! I haven’t tried it yet, so I’m not sure how they would turn out. If you try it, let me know how you did it and how they taste!
Feel free to play around with the ratio of these ingredients to reach your desired consistency.
You will need:
- Oil for frying I used peanut oil but you can use whatever oil you prefer. Alternatively, you can omit all together and bake them in the oven.
- ~1 cup Riced broccoli
- 1/2 sweet potato; grated
- 1 egg; beaten
- ~1/2 cup bread crumbs
- ~3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt/pepper/paprika and seasonings of choice – get creative and let me know what YOU like to use
- Heat your oil of choice to 350F in a large stock pot with a candy thermometer or get out your deep fryer!
- Combine the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl
- Form into bite sized pieces with your hands
- Carefully place a few tots into the oil and cook about 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Be sure not to overcrowd the pot so you don’t effect the temperature of the cooking oil.
- Blot excess oil with a paper towel and enjoy!
There you have it folks! Easy riced broccoli and what to do with it (: I hope you enjoy this and all the other stuff The Joy of Mindful (tr)Eating has to offer; Sound off in the comment section and let me know how you prefer to season your tots or any tips and tricks you may have!
5 thoughts on “QUICK HACK – Easy Riced Broccoli and BONUS Brocco-Tot recipe!”
have you made pizza crust out of the broccoli rice? I bought some today at trader joes and have no idea what to do with it..i want to keep it low carb so cant make the tots due to the sweet potatoe, but I’m going to give this recipe to my girlfriend to make them for her kids..im sure they will love them…they sound awesome…
LikeLiked by 1 person
Ooh that sounds awesome! I haven’t tried a crust with it yet. You’ll have to let me know how it turns out!
I will, I don’t want to waste it, hope it turns out…..
LikeLiked by 1 person