I try not to post too much about my extra-curricular activities, especially on social media because:
A) people are judgey as fuck and I know someone is going to try and tell me how to live my life; let me save you some time and tell you not to bother. I’d rather just conserve the energy.
B) I live in a legal marijuana state and I’d hate to make anyone too jealous.
I know that smoking, vaping, cooking and generally consuming marijuana is a touchy subject for a lot of people, especially after having weight loss surgery. I cannot advocate enough for responsible, ADULT usage. There are some very legitimate and scientific reasons that the legal age is 21+, so please.. if you can take one thing away from this, its to enjoy and use R E S P O N S I B L Y.
So, now that that’s out of the way, here’s what I did to celebrate!!
The basis of just about any infused edible. THC is fat soluble, so rendering it into butter, oil or lard is the best way to infuse your product. Then, by adding the infused butter into whatever it is you’re making, you’ll have some questionably dosed goodies.
The science of infusion and proper dosing is lost on me; mostly from lack of exposure to proper cannabis cooking, so please, BE CAREFUL. When making butter and other goods at home, start with half, wait an hour or two and then decide if another brownie is a good idea… k? Edibles take a lot longer to activate into your system than smoking or vaping. So give it some time and enjoy the high!
There are a couple of different methods to making cannabutter at home stovetop or in the crockpot but for both methods, the ingredients are the same.
You Will Need:
- melt butter and 1 cup of water over medium/low heat and bring to a simmer. adding water helps to regulate the temperature and prevent scorching
- add your ground flower and continue to simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for 2-3 hours. Do not allow it to come to a boil!! Overheating will burn off the active cannabinoids
- after simmering, allow to cool slightly and drain through a cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve into a glass container to strain out the loose flower from the butter. You can discard the leftover plant pulp, but I decided to attempt a second extraction – SEE ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!!
- cover and refrigerate overnight or until the infused butter solidifies and you’ll be able to separate the hardened butter from the water. The water can be discarded.
- Allow the butter to come to room temperature to soften before using in recipes. DO NOT USE THE MICROWAVE TO SOFTEN YOUR BUTTER
crock pot method
- turn crock pot on low add 1 cup of water, 1lb of unsalted butter, and your ground flower
- simmer for 8-24 hours stirring occasionally the longer its cooked, the more infused your end product will be!
- FOLLOW STEPS 3-5 of the stove top instructions
A Second Extraction?
I decided that instead of tossing out over 100$ worth of potentially usable product, that I would try to get a second extraction from the leftover butter pulp. Anything that I got out of it is obviously less potent than the butter if infused at all, but it was worth a try!
I searched some online forums and found that someone has taken the leftover pulp, added it to their crock pot with 1lb of chunky peanut butter it helps to disguise the texture and then let it melt and congeal for 2-3 hours on low. So… that’s what I did.
it got a little dry at some point, but I added some infused coconut oil to it to add some moisture back to it, and it seemed fine!
Now, what can you make? Anything, really. Want to make some baked goods? Just replace what the recipe calls for with the infused product and make sure you bake UNDER 350*F
Peanut Butter Cookies? Heck yeah!
Chicken? FUCK YES!!
Or slather some on your toast!
I can’t say it enough… enjoy responsibly!!
I hope you enjoyed a look at what I did for my first legal 4/20 in my new home in Portland! Do you partake in the greenery scenery? What are some of your favourite methods to indulge? This is a judgment free zone!!
3 thoughts on “Kiwi’s First 4/20 in Portland”
Love the eye glasses, the apron & your confidence! Miss you on the East Coast!
GIRL. The boomerang of you smoking is hot AF.
All fangirl-ing aside, LOVE your educated post on canna-butter. Let’s cook something together sometime :-*
LikeLiked by 1 person