Three of my favourite things.
You can top this with whatever biscuit recipes tickles your fancy, but I ended up using the 3-ingredient biscuits from The Big Mans World and it. Was. AWESOME.
Seriously so easy, I can’t believe I haven’t tried it sooner.
You Will Need:
- ~1lb chicken (rubbed with salt and pepper)
- 2T unsalted butter
- 2T flour* see notes
- veggies of choice I used red and yellow onions, carrots, and celery
- ~1/2 – 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- seasonings of choice I added salt, pepper, turmeric
for the biscuits:
- 1 cup self rising flour (or 1 cup all purpose flour + 2t baking powder +1/4t salt)
- 1 cup cheese
- 2/3 cup milk of choice
- seasonings of choice to spice them up! I love adding chili powder or an Italian blend
- Melt your butter in a large pan over medium heat and add your veggies, cooking until slightly soft; around 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add your chicken to the pan and cook 3-4minutes on each side; its ok if its not cooked through. It’ll finish cooking in the oven!
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- You can add a little more butter to your pan if you need to and then add the flour. This will thicken up your mixture to a stiff paste. You made a roux! Congrats! DON’T BURN IT.
- Let the mixture darken slightly; around a minute, just keep a close watch on it and then slowly add the broth. You’ll notice the roux will almost immediately seize, but keep adding the broth while stirring and it’ll loosen right up again. Continue adding broth until it has reached your desired consistency (depending on the amount of veggies, chicken, whatever, you may need more or less liquid) There’s your filling!
- Turn down the heat and bring your filling to a simmer and while its going, cut up the chicken you set aside into bite sized pieces. Add the chicken back to the pan and give it a stir. Turn off the heat and cover it while you make the biscuits to go on top!
to make the biscuits:
- combine all biscuit ingredients and allow to set for 2 minutes before scooping on top of pot pie
- Use what you have available, take an oven safe bowl, ramekin or casserole dish and add the desired amount of filling (single serve or a whole crowd pleaser!)
- top with raw biscuit dough and bake in the oven at 325F for ~25 minutes (depending on what you use!! So if you’re using canned biscuits, follow those instructions!)
I really hope you like this take on chicken pot pie! Let me know if you’ve tried it and how you might do it differently! I love hearing from you guys ❤
You might be able to use arrowroot or cornstarch to thicken the sauce instead of making a roux, but I haven’t tried! Let me know if you have!