I have a larger batch recipe for red sauce but it makes SO MUCH and it ends up taking up a lot of space in the freezer. Sooooo. I decided to make an updated version!
This recipe can easily be scaled up or down, depending on how much you need. Only need enough for one pizza? Use less tomatoes.. duh. If you end up making too much, store the extra in the fridge for up to a week or freeze it for up to 3 months!
You Will Need:
makes enough for 1 – 12″ pizza plus some extra
- 4 roma tomatoes; diced
- ~1T olive oil
- ~1T tomato paste
- garlic clove; minced
- sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- dried basil or Italian seasoning blend to taste
- dried hot pepper optional for some extra heat
- Heat the olive oil, diced tomatoes and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat until the tomatoes have reduced down and released some of their juices; about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant; about 30 seconds.
- Add the Parmesan and your seasonings; bring to a boil cover and then reduce heat to allow your sauce to simmer for 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- You can then pour your sauce into a blender or food processor to further liquefy any solid pieces of tomato that are left; or leave it as is if you like it chunky!
- Continue to taste test your sauce and adjust seasonings as needed.