It’s almost fall… you know what that means?
I don’t want to bore you with some story about how much I L O O O O O V E fall.. so.. let’s get cooking!
Hearty Lentil Soup
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 large celery stalk (chopped)
- 1/4 cup celery leaves (chopped)
- 2-3 carrots (thickly sliced)
- 1/3 c brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley or cilantro (chopped)
- 1.5 cups lentils (rinsed)
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- seasonings to taste (I used chili powder, garlic and paprika and turmeric)
- 2 cups spinach (optional)
Place lentils in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let them soak while you chop the rest of vegetables.
Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large pot. Add the garlic, onion, celery, and celery leaves, and cook while stirring for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
Add the carrots, rice, parsley, lentils and then add 6 cups of water and seasonings.
Bring to a boil, cover and lower to a simmer until the lentils, rice, and vegetables are tender (about 60-90 minutes). Add the spinach 20 minutes before serving.
I know it’s bee a while since I posted (has it been FIVE MONTHS already?)
Thanks for sticking with me.
If you haven’t already, follow me at @thejoyofmindfultreating over on instagram to see additional content like IGTV cooking videos, tips and general nutrition information.
in love and good health–